3 hrs 35 mins
3 hrs 5 mins
this recipe is so simple and you can shape the bread however you like. i use whole wheat flour for half sometimes and all purpose or bread flour for the rest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1proof yeast with sugar in water until foamy.
- 2combine water with 4 cups flour, mix and let sit 15 minutes.
- 3in a mixer with a dough hook add in flour by the cup until it reaches a smooth consistency and forms a ball that pulls away from the bowl, should be about 3 more cups (7 total).
- 4knead by hand or in mixer until smooth and elastic, about 5-10 in a mixer.
- 5rise until double, about an hour. punch down, rise another hour.
- 6divide into pieces and form loaves (either 3 italian shape or about 5 long french loaves).
- 7rise one last time, 30-45 minutes, slash tops with a sharp knife and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes until the loaves sound hollow.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy French or Italian Bread
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.7
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 585.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g