Prep 3 hrs 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
this recipe is so simple and you can shape the bread however you like. i use whole wheat flour for half sometimes and all purpose or bread flour for the rest.
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt (heaping tbs)
- 7 cups flour
- proof yeast with sugar in water until foamy.
- combine water with 4 cups flour, mix and let sit 15 minutes.
- in a mixer with a dough hook add in flour by the cup until it reaches a smooth consistency and forms a ball that pulls away from the bowl, should be about 3 more cups (7 total).
- knead by hand or in mixer until smooth and elastic, about 5-10 in a mixer.
- rise until double, about an hour. punch down, rise another hour.
- divide into pieces and form loaves (either 3 italian shape or about 5 long french loaves).
- rise one last time, 30-45 minutes, slash tops with a sharp knife and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes until the loaves sound hollow.