Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is our Christmas Day buffet soup. So easy to prepare and serve. Ladling the soup over the French bread and cheese is a simple way to melt the cheese without using the broiler.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 4 large onions, sliced,separated into rings (use yellow or red or combination of both)
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- French bread, slices (toasted in oven until crisp)
- shredded mozzarella cheese or swiss cheese (or combo mozzarella/parmesan)
- Melt margarine in large pot.
- Add onions; cook until limp, about 20 minutes.
- Add broth, wine, water, and pepper.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- To serve, put French bread slice in bowl.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Ladle hot soup over bread and cheese.
It's was easy and good for a quick French Onion Soup. I did add some spices to it--thyme and basil. Made for Easy Does It! in Cooking Photos Forum.