Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Food should not be complicated. This recipe is my favourite as it takes no time to make and will warm you and your loved ones on a snowy evening, or impress a guest!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 sweet onions, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 slices crusty bread, cut into cubes
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Heat olive oil and brown sugar in large stock pot on medium-high heat.
- Add onions. Cook until onions turn brown and sugars of onions have caramalized.
- Add beef broth and heat on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into french onion soup bowls or other oven-safe individual-sized cookware. Add 1/2 slice of cubed bread on top of soup. Sprinkle cheese on top of bread.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet and heat under broiler until cheese is golden brown.