Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Easy French Bread using the breadmaker to mix and the oven to bake. The bread machine is a great invention, but I find the bread tastes better when it bakes in the oven. Prepare at least 3 hours before serving. To make a regular sized loaf, change the number of servings to 1/2 a loaf.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups flour, preferably white bread flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast, fast rising or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast, active dry
- Place ingredients in bread machine as shown. Set for dough.
- Form into loaf on floured board - do NOT punch down.
- Placed on greased cookie sheet and allow to rise 1 hour.
- Bake 30-35 minutes in PREHEATED oven at 350 degrees F.
While we greatly enjoy this bread and have eaten almost all of it, we don't feel that it is a true french bread hence the rating. I made it Sunday night to go with our spaghetti dinner and was quite disappointed with the texture. It wasn't light and spongy like a french bread but still good. I have since served the bread with several other meals and it has been gobbled up.
This is a delicious bread, and very easy to make. Thanks ! Chef Roly Poly