1/1 Photo of Easy Freezer-Ready Homemade Stewed Tomatoes
Fresh peeled tomatoes may be used in place of canned, just slightly blanch in boiling water firstly for a couple minutes then peel and chop before using in this recipe, this is great to have handy in the freezer ready to use in any recipe, and much better than the canned stuff. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. Great to use in stews, casseroles, sauces or any recipe calling for stewed tomatoes, this is even good added to homemade pasta sauce. This is just a basic recipe, to this I like to add in a couple tablespoons tomato paste and a few drops of Tabasco sauce, just to kick it up a bit, all ingredient amounts may be adjusted to suit taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, slightly drained (do not use diced tomatoes for this)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 -5 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Tabasco sauce (optional add in if you like spicy) or hot sauce (optional add in if you like spicy)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with cold water to create a paste, optional if you want a thicker texture then use)
- 1In a large saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil (except the water and cornstarch)breaking up the tomatoes slightly with a fork.
- 2Adjust salt and sugar to taste.
- 3Simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add in the cornstarch/water mix and simmer for another 15 minutes (if you want a thicker consistency add in more cornstarch mixed with water).
- 5Cool and divide into freezer-safe containers.
Browse Our Top Cooking Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cooking Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Freezer-Ready Homemade Stewed Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (1034 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.5
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.2 mg
- Sodium 513.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 1.7 g