Quick and easy to prepare, pop on the BBQ and forget them,'til the rest of dinner is ready, Delicious!!!
- Scrub potato and make 4 slits almost through to bottom.
- Slice onion into 4 slices to fit into slits in potato.
- Dot with butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle olive oil over all.
- Wrap tightly in foil, as if to freeze.
- Place package on rack in BBq and close the lid.
- (Can also be done in the oven- 400f degrees for 1 hour or until potatoes are soft).
- In a hot BBq they should be done within an hour, depends on what else you are BBqing.
- Open packages, adjust seasoning, serve in opened foil.
- Repeat process for as many potatoes as needed
I love, love, love this orginal idea!! My only gripe about the recipe was all of the added fat from the butter and oil. I followed the potato/onion prep, but I made some adjustments on the fats. I rubbed the entire skin of the potato with my favorite EVOO before slicing. Then, I dotted a tiny bit of unsalted Irish butter between each slit for flavor (1 tsp total). After folding the foil packet I poured in 1 T of my favorite chicken stock and sealed the packet. Great flavor for more than half of the fat & calories!
Forgo the Foil - don't steam the skin
I have found that the secret is to make them like my Pops used to.
poke the tate in spots -- rub the outside with white bacon drippins and salt w/ coarse kosher or sea salt.
Best tasting potato anywhere, including the best steakhouses.
This is a great recipe for a simple baked potato with a lot of flavor! My family loved them! Thanks for sharing