Recipe by Matthew Molus
If you have never made flan before, maybe now is the time to try it. This recipe makes it easy. You will need six individual ramekins, and a large baking pan to put them in.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (13 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pour 1 cup sugar in warm pan over medium heat.
- Constantly stir sugar until it browns and becomes caramel.
- Quickly pour approximately 2-3 tablespoons of caramel into each ramekin, tilting it to swirl the caramel around the sides. Reheat caramel if it starts to harden.
- In a mixer or with a whisk, blend the eggs together.
- Mix in the milks then slowly mix in the 1/2 cup sugar, then the vanilla.
- Blend smooth after each ingredient is added.
- Pour custard into carmel lined ramekins.
- Place ramekins in a large glass or ceramic baking dish and fill with about 1-2 inches of hot water.
- Bake for 45 minutes, check with a knife just to the side of the center. If knife comes out clean, its ready.
- Remove and let cool.
- Let each ramekin cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Invert each ramekin onto a small plate, the caramel sauce will flow over the custard.
- Serve & enjoy.