Recipe by Susan #2
Here's a simple recipe that my mom's used for years. She picked it up somewhere in South America (either in Peru or Brazil). It's fast, easy and very tasty. The cinnamon makes all the difference. Using a tube pan makes it bake more evenly and more quickly and makes for a prettier presentation.
Top Review by Jon K.
This is a great recipe, and it's great that it's based around whole cans of milk, instead of leaving you with partials. I make mine with 7 eggs, and I go a bit heavier on the vanilla and cinnamon. A tip! Don't try to flip your flan onto a plate. Instead, put your plate upside down on your baking vessel and flip both together, give the vessel a jiggle, and it should pop out exactly where you want it.
- 1 cup sugar, caramelized
- 6 -10 eggs, well beaten
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat tube pan with caramelized sugar.
- Allow to harden, then place pan in container with ice cold water until the caramelized sugar cracks.
- Mix other ingredient in order, stir well and pour in mold.
- Place mold in pan with 2" hot water in preheated oven.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until firm.
- Let cool, then invert and unmold.
- Decorate with fresh berries or edible flowers, if desired.