Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got a pack of fish pieces from Asda and thought I'd give making a quick and easy fish pie a try... lots of recipes I found for fish pie have tonnes of ingredients - this is a simple one with just the basics.
- 5 potatoes
- mixed fish, 200g
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion
- Put the kettle on and boil enough water for the potatoes.
- Peal, cut into small chunks and then boil the potatoes in one pan for 10-15 minutes, using knife to tell when tender.
- Put the oven onto gas mark 6.
- Dice the small onion then sauté for 1-2 minutes in teaspoon of olive oil in another pan.
- Then add the packet of fish pie mix and gently fry for 2 minutes in the onions and olive oil, make sure to not let the fish stick.
- Add the cup of milk.
- Add the tbsp of flour.
- Add the tbsp of mustard and stir the milk, flour and mustard thoroughly into the fish mixture. Mustard gives a nice flavour to the sauce without using cheese and also gives it a golden colour, you can omit this if you prefer a handful of cheese.
- Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, stir occasionally to not let sitck.
- Then add cup of peas, stir and take off the heat.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly, add back to pan, pinch of salt and pepper and put over heat for 2 minutes while mashing to draw out and evaporate last of the water. Mash together with a drizzle (about a tablespoon) of olive oil (add butter if you prefer).
- Pour fish mix into oven proof dish.
- Carefully spoon over mash potatos and smooth out. I did a quick cross pattern in the mash to make it fluff up and give a nice texture when golden.
- Put into the oven for 40 minutes/until golden brown.