I got a pack of fish pieces from Asda and thought I'd give making a quick and easy fish pie a try... lots of recipes I found for fish pie have tonnes of ingredients - this is a simple one with just the basics.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the kettle on and boil enough water for the potatoes.
- 2Peal, cut into small chunks and then boil the potatoes in one pan for 10-15 minutes, using knife to tell when tender.
- 3Put the oven onto gas mark 6.
- 4Dice the small onion then sauté for 1-2 minutes in teaspoon of olive oil in another pan.
- 5Then add the packet of fish pie mix and gently fry for 2 minutes in the onions and olive oil, make sure to not let the fish stick.
- 6Add the cup of milk.
- 7Add the tbsp of flour.
- 8Add the tbsp of mustard and stir the milk, flour and mustard thoroughly into the fish mixture. Mustard gives a nice flavour to the sauce without using cheese and also gives it a golden colour, you can omit this if you prefer a handful of cheese.
- 9Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, stir occasionally to not let sitck.
- 10Then add cup of peas, stir and take off the heat.
- 11Drain potatoes thoroughly, add back to pan, pinch of salt and pepper and put over heat for 2 minutes while mashing to draw out and evaporate last of the water. Mash together with a drizzle (about a tablespoon) of olive oil (add butter if you prefer).
- 12Pour fish mix into oven proof dish.
- 13Carefully spoon over mash potatos and smooth out. I did a quick cross pattern in the mash to make it fluff up and give a nice texture when golden.
- 14Put into the oven for 40 minutes/until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Fish Pie (Cheese Free)
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.2
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 89.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 10.0 g