Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a simple never-fail fish curry from south India. Enjoy it with rice or dosa.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 10 curry leaves
for the curry paste
- 2 onions
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 3 big garlic cloves
for the curry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1⁄4 kg sliced fish
- Grind the curry paste ingredients with a little water in a blender until smooth.
- Put the oil in a pan and heat till it shimmers.
- Add the seasoning and fry till the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the curry paste, mix and let it boil until thick.
- Add the powders and salt to taste.Mix well.
- Simmer covered until the raw smell goes. Spices should smell cooked.
- Open when thick enough to eat.
- Put cleaned thick fish slices into the curry.
- Add tamarind paste and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Very easy and nice recipe. I tried it for first time and everyone in my family enjoyed having it. Thank you.
It couldn't be better, the flavour meltet together and the fenu greek gave this dish a special taste.
It was really like the curries we enjoyed in Kerala. Thanks a lot for this dream recipe!