Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A fun recipe for kids to make and eat! Adapted from the book What's Cooking? A Cookbook for Kids by Disney Press. Who says you can't play with your food?
- Trim around edges of round tortilla(if you can't find square ones) to make it square.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise(or whipped cream cheese) on top. If you like, you could spread a thin layer of mustard on too.
- Layor on the lettuce(or spinach), then the meat and cheese. Roll up tightly.
- With the seam on the bottom, slice the tortilla into 2" wide pinwheels.
- For the heads, cut a small pickle in half at an angle. Poke 2 small holed in the uncut end and stick pieces of chive with knots at one end in each hole for antennae.( I used scallionn tops, cut a sliver and inserted them).
- Slip each pickle half under the edge of the pinwheel, securing them together with a toothpick if necessary.
- Makes 4-6 pinwheel sandwiches.
These were a lot of fun. My DS had some friends stay the night, and I served these to them for lunch. You should have seen the 6 year-olds' faces when I told them they would be eating snails for lunch. The giggles that followed when I put the "snails" out were so worth it. They really enjoyed their lunches today! Thanks, Sharon for posting!