Took the basic technique from Cook's Illustrated to make the cheaper cut of beef more tender, but added a couple of twists. This is great served medium-rare. For those who prefer it more done, the ends should be more to medium. I serve with creamy horseradish. Slice it thin and it's as tender as tenderloin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle all sides of 4 lb. eye of round roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6-18 hours. The longer you let it sit the more tender it will become. But don't let it go over 18-24 hours.
- 2Remove roast from refrigerator and allow to come to almost room temperature,.
- 3Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- 4Pat roast dry with paper towel.
- 5Cut deep slits into roast and stick in slivered pieces of garlic.
- 6Rub with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle all sides evenly with pepper.
- 7Heat remaining oil in large, heavy bottomed pan (I just use my shallow roaster with rack).
- 8Sear roast until browned on all sides, 4-5 minutes per side. Should create some good fond.
- 9Transfer roast to wire rack in shallow roaster pan.
- 10Use meat-probe thermometer and set it for 125 degrees.
- 11Roast until meat-probe thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 120 degrees for medium-rare, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours, or 130 degrees for medium, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours.
- 12Turn oven off; leave roast in oven, until meat-probe thermometer registers 130 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium (this can take as little as 15-30 minutes longer).
- 13Transfer roast to carving board and let rest 15 minutes.
- 14Slice meat crosswise as thinly as possible and serve with creamy horseradish.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Eye Round Roast Beef
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 154.2 mg
- Sodium 713.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 48.9 g