Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you. This is a very easy bread to make because you don’ t have to knead it and the dough doesn’t need to rise. I make this at home every other week. It's perfect as a breakfast bread!
- 10 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1 cup crushed rye meal
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup sifted rye flour
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed caraway seed
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup treacle
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter two rectangular 4-pints pans.
- Mix all the dry ingredients carefully.
- Add buttermilk and treacle, stir thoroughly.
- Distribute the batter in the pans.
- Bake for 100 minutes.
- Check the loaves after 50 minutes. If they have gotten a beautiful dark color, cover them with foil for the rest of the baking time so they don’t get burned.
- Let them get cold under a baking cloth before you put them in plastic bags and into the freezer.