Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this recipe from Keebler. I used fresh lemon juice in mine but you can buy store brand.This pie has a thicker filling than most lemon meringue pies and has a stronger egg taste. It's different than most lemon meringue pies too.
- 1 graham keebler ready pie crust (or the shortbread pie crust)
- 396.89 g sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml fresh grated lemon peel
- 0.13 ml yellow food coloring (optional)
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml cream of tartar
- 78.07 ml sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl beat egg yolks well.
- Stir in condensed milk,lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring, if desired. This will thicken.
- Pour mixture in pie crust and bake 30 minute at 325°F.
- Preparing the meringue.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tarter in a large bowl with a electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually, turning up mixer on high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Turn oven up to 350°F.
- Spread meringue on top of hot pie filling all over the entire pie.
- Put in oven and bake another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of oven and cool on stove or counter top for at least 1 hour.
- Place in refrigerator and chill at least 2 to 3 hours before serving.
This was excellent! This was indeed quite different from the traditional lemon meringue pies..it has more the texture of a key lime pie in a way (only lemon flavored of course). I used fat free sweetened condensed milk instead of the the full fat and it still was very rich, creamy, and delicious. Also, I made a homemade graham cracker crust rather than the "ready" crust.