Recipe by Marsha D.
Got this recipe from Keebler. I used fresh lemon juice in mine but you can buy store brand.This pie has a thicker filling than most lemon meringue pies and has a stronger egg taste. It's different than most lemon meringue pies too.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was excellent! This was indeed quite different from the traditional lemon meringue pies..it has more the texture of a key lime pie in a way (only lemon flavored of course). I used fat free sweetened condensed milk instead of the the full fat and it still was very rich, creamy, and delicious. Also, I made a homemade graham cracker crust rather than the "ready" crust.
- 1 graham keebler ready pie crust (or the shortbread pie crust)
- 1 (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon peel
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl beat egg yolks well.
- Stir in condensed milk,lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring, if desired. This will thicken.
- Pour mixture in pie crust and bake 30 minute at 325°F.
- Preparing the meringue.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tarter in a large bowl with a electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually, turning up mixer on high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Turn oven up to 350°F.
- Spread meringue on top of hot pie filling all over the entire pie.
- Put in oven and bake another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of oven and cool on stove or counter top for at least 1 hour.
- Place in refrigerator and chill at least 2 to 3 hours before serving.