Recipe by shells75
I got this off an internet site years ago and it's my favorite Mexican dish to make. It was from Roy Clark in Midwest Living Oct 1984. I have also made it with shredded chicken breast, and the last couple of times I made it I added a can of drained, rinsed light kidney beans. It's so yummy, honest! I lighten it up just a little using Campbell's "healthy" cream of chicken soup and skim or low fat milk. I also don't add the entire pack of taco seasoning...maybe about 3/4....but it's a taste preference.
Top Review by children from A to Z
I needed something easy to fix tonight for dinner. I came across this recipe and had to try it, boy am I glad I did. Everyone loved it. The only changes I made was to make it in a 11-1/2 x 7-inch pan and I used flour tortillas my husband doesn't like corn tortillas. This was so flavorful and so easy. Next time I will use about 3/4 or less taco seasoning it was a little spicey for my little ones. We will be having this often. Thanks so much for posting shells75!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2-1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas, size cut in half
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese or 1 Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large skillet, brown ground beef and chopped onion.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce and taco seasoning.
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir together soup and milk.
- Spoon half of soup mixture into a 9 x 13" baking dish.
- Use 12 tortilla halves to place over the soup in dish, covering the bottom of the dish with no spaces.
- Spoon meat mixture over tortillas.
- Top with remaining tortillas.
- Spoon remaining soup mixture over tortillas.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.