Recipe by Fauve
This recipe is from an old Southern Living magazine, ca. 2002. I've used this numerous times with much success.
Top Review by bmduvall
This is a staple for our family. My kids LOVE it. Typically I divide this into 2 casserole dishes and freeeze one before cooking. Rotisserie chicken works well for this and I use green enchilada sauce and mild rotel tomatoes with green chiles. We serve this with avocado and extra black beans and often scoop it up with tortilla chips.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (19 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning mix or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (10 ounce) package 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (** see note)
- 12 ounces shredded four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon one-third of sauce mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Layer with one-third of tortillas, half of chicken, and 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat layers with one-third each of sauce mixture and tortillas, remaining chicken, and 1 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas, sauce mixture and 1 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- **NOTE:2 pounds cooked lean ground beef, may be substituted.