This is another one of my mother's appetizers. This is so delicious, but also wonderfully quick and easy to prepare. There is no chopping needed, just opening cans, and such. I always use the pre-grated cheese to make this even more simple. You can also make this up to 1-2 days in advance. *Note: the bread used in this recipe is not a thick cut style French bread, but rather the thin sliced (thinner than a regular slice of bread). Francisco makes a good bread for this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese (my mother always uses Sharp, but I prefer mild)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup instant minced onion (or equivalent of fresh)
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) can chopped black olives
- salt & pepper
- 15 -20 slices francisco French bread or 15 -20 slices miniature party rye rounds or 15 -20 slices sourdough bread
- 1Mix cheese, tomato sauce, onions and black olives.
- 2Add oregano to taste (I usually add about 1 tsp to start.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3At this point you can refrigerate mix, covered, until ready to use.
- 4Cut each slice of bread in half or smaller if desired.
- 5Spread about a spoonful of cheese mixture on bread.
- 6Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees until cheese melts.
- 7Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy & Elegant Pizza Appetizers
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.6
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 1183.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 20.5 g