Recipe by Leilani
This is another one of my mother's appetizers. This is so delicious, but also wonderfully quick and easy to prepare. There is no chopping needed, just opening cans, and such. I always use the pre-grated cheese to make this even more simple. You can also make this up to 1-2 days in advance. *Note: the bread used in this recipe is not a thick cut style French bread, but rather the thin sliced (thinner than a regular slice of bread). Francisco makes a good bread for this.
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese (my mother always uses Sharp, but I prefer mild)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup instant minced onion (or equivalent of fresh)
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) canchopped black olives
- salt & pepper
- 15 -20 slices francisco French bread or 15 -20 slices miniature party rye rounds or 15 -20 slices sourdough bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cheese, tomato sauce, onions and black olives.
- Add oregano to taste (I usually add about 1 tsp to start.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point you can refrigerate mix, covered, until ready to use.
- Cut each slice of bread in half or smaller if desired.
- Spread about a spoonful of cheese mixture on bread.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.