Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The addition of white wine makes this quick soup sensational--the crunch of French bread adds a nice texture and sops up the liquid wonderfully.
- 3 knorr beef bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 4 tablespoons kerry irish gold salted butter
- 3 large onions
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 5 slices French bread
- 1 cup fish eye pinot grigio wine
- Peel and slice onions very thin.
- Melt butter on medium heat in a 4 quart pot.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized ~ about 10-25 minutes.
- Bring 6 cups water to boil.
- Add Knorr bouillon [vegans could substitute MORGA vegetable broth] to dissolve.
- Add bouillon all at once to onions.
- Add wine and heat just to boiling.
- Toast french bread.
- Grate gruyere cheese ~ or use Sargento grated cheese ~ swiss or Monterey jack are best.
- Pour very hot soup into bowls and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Serve with piece of toasted bread.
- This would be very good chilled in the summer, too.