Recipe by Summerwine
Individual servings of a very colorful starter or attractive salad on the side which can be made ahead of time. Super easy for a beginner cook and good for you too! Before you think, eeks, mayonnaise, give it a try, it works really well. Of course you could omit the mayonnaise if you prefer. When we were kids my mom used to make this for us for lunch or for salad at dinner and we all loved it! :)
Top Review by debdamelio
My Grandmother used to make this for us but she used a little of the juice from the pineapple can to thin the mayo so you could pour it over the salad and then sprinkled chopped walnuts on top! Delicious! We also had peaches and cottage cheese and pears and cottage cheese sometimes, too.
- 4 -8 large lettuce leaves
- 2 cups cottage cheese, divided in 1/2 cup each
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple, sliced in juice and drained (4 slices)
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 4 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Line up 4 small plates on your work area and place a layer of nice green lettuce leaves on each plate.
- Spoon 1/2 cup cottage cheese in the center of the lettuce on each plate.
- Put 1 slice pineapple over the cottage cheese on each plate.
- Dollop 1 teaspoon mayonnaise in the center of each pineapple per plate (I like more).
- Dab excess juice from the maraschino cherries with a paper towel and place the cherry on top of the dollop of mayonnaise.
- Can be served immediately or covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to serve.