Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
from Weight Watchers Family Favorite Recipes cookbook, sadly no longer in print.
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- Combine bread crumbs, paprika, pepper and flour on a paper plate.
- Dip chicken in egg, making sure all sides are coated, and then dredge in crumb mixture. Repeat process with second chicken breast, being sure to use all the egg and crumbs. Set aside.
- In 10 inch skillet, combine oil and butter; heat over medium heat until bubbly and hot. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until both sides are lightly browned and chicken is almost cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side; transfer to plate and keep warm.
- To same skillet, add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes; sprinkle with 1 tsp flour and stir quickly to combine. Add chicken broth and wine and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet and top evenly with cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly snipped parsley, if desired.
Very, very good. I made just a few minor changes. I added chopped onions with the mushrooms, increased the mushrooms to 1/4 lb, increased the flour to 1 TBS. and the broth and wine to 1/2 cup each. I also used Swiss cheese (cause that's what I had). It worked well. I'll definitely make it again.