Recipe by Gina Farina
I have never liked cauliflower unless it was drowning in processed cheese sauce - and even then I didn't like it much). HOWEVER...I found this Kraft recipe and it's so easy, pretty and - yes - tasty! My kids scarfed it down! Make sure to double the sauce/cheese portion. The bright orange of the cheddar cheese creates a very nice presentation for company and holidays. The ratio of mayo-to-mustard is a suggestion, so start with the mayo and add a little of the Dijon, mix and taste until it tastes the way you prefer. And you can sub yellow mustard if your kids like it better. Whatever gets them to eat cauliflower!
Top Review by dpjones36
My version for an elegant dinner is to serve it whole. I utilized the same ingredients with these changes. I parboil the cauliflower whole with the stem removed in salted water, until fork tender. Drain and put in baking dish with the cheese mixture (mayo, mustard, and cheese mixed together) spread on top. Then put it under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is bubbling and brown. Best served immediately. This makes an impressive presentation for your guests and is always a hit. Enjoy, Penelope
- 1 head cauliflower (rinsed and drained)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or yellow)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cauliflower into 8 to 12 large floret pieces, discarding the core. (If you cut pieces small, decrease cook time). Place florets in microwaveable casserole dish. Add the water; cover. Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes. (Be sure to not let the cauliflower overcook to mushy-ness). Drain. Return cauliflower to same dish.
- Hint: cook cauliflower evenly by placing the larger pieces to the outside of the dish.
- Mix the mayo and mustard. Spread over the cauliflower; sprinkle with the cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.