Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have never liked cauliflower unless it was drowning in processed cheese sauce - and even then I didn't like it much). HOWEVER...I found this Kraft recipe and it's so easy, pretty and - yes - tasty! My kids scarfed it down! Make sure to double the sauce/cheese portion. The bright orange of the cheddar cheese creates a very nice presentation for company and holidays. The ratio of mayo-to-mustard is a suggestion, so start with the mayo and add a little of the Dijon, mix and taste until it tastes the way you prefer. And you can sub yellow mustard if your kids like it better. Whatever gets them to eat cauliflower!
- 1 head cauliflower (rinsed and drained)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or yellow)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut cauliflower into 8 to 12 large floret pieces, discarding the core. (If you cut pieces small, decrease cook time). Place florets in microwaveable casserole dish. Add the water; cover. Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes. (Be sure to not let the cauliflower overcook to mushy-ness). Drain. Return cauliflower to same dish.
- Hint: cook cauliflower evenly by placing the larger pieces to the outside of the dish.
- Mix the mayo and mustard. Spread over the cauliflower; sprinkle with the cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
My version for an elegant dinner is to serve it whole. I utilized the same ingredients with these changes. I parboil the cauliflower whole with the stem removed in salted water, until fork tender. Drain and put in baking dish with the cheese mixture (mayo, mustard, and cheese mixed together) spread on top. Then put it under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is bubbling and brown. Best served immediately. This makes an impressive presentation for your guests and is always a hit. Enjoy, Penelope
This is pretty good but it needed a bit of tweaking. I made it the first time and rated it three stars, but the second time, I added some simple changes. I doubled the mayo/mustard mixture (it's much better with dijon than plain yellow mustard, trust me on this) and then I added a pinch of sea salt, a couple grinds of fresh black pepper and 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. I poured the cold mixture over the hot cauliflower and then covered it in sharp cheddar cheese and microwaved it until the cheddar melted. It was much better this way, but I still think it needs something. Perhaps a pinch of yellow curry or a pinch of dill. Overall, it makes a GREAT substitute when you're craving homemade mac-n-cheese. Tastes just like it.
Very good. I cooked the cauliflower in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Rinsed it with cold water and put it in a casserole dish. I made double the sauce as directed, added it to the cauliflower and topped it with a lot of cheese. I baked it for 30 minutes at 350.