Here is a super simple salad that will be a great accompaniment to any North African main dish. You can enjoy it on its own too.
- If you want to reduce the salt content of the feta, cut it into chunks and soak in cold water for an hour.
- Score the cucumbers with the tines of a fork, and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds - a grapefruit spoon or melon baller works well. Sprinkle the cucumbers with salt, and let them stand for about 1/2 hour.
- Then rinse, pat dry, and slice the cucumbers into 1/2 inch chunks.
- In a medium serving bowl, crush the feta with a fork and mix it with the scallions, lemon juice, oil, and pepper.
- Combine the cucumber chunks with the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the salad with the mint.
- It can sit in the refrigerator before serving, but try not to hold it more than an hour or it will get watery.