Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A super easy recipe from Everyday Food!
- 2 lbs eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- ground pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Season eggplant with salt and pepper, arrange in a shallow 2-quart microwave safe dish with a lid.
- Microwave on high until tender and pliable but not fully cooked, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer eggplant slices from dish to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet, arrange in a single layer.
- Blot dish dry and spread bottom with 1/4 cup marinara sauce; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together ricotta, parmesan, egg, garlic, 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Dividing evenly, spoon ricotta mixture onto the wide end of eggplant slices, roll up slices and arrange seam side down in a single layer in prepared dish.
- Top with remaining 3/4 cup marinara sauce.
- Cover dish and microwave on high until eggplant is very tender, 15-17 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella and microwave another 2-3 minutes until cheese melts.
- Cool 5 minutes.
I followed the recipe exactly, and was looking for a lighter version of eggplant rollatini. I liked that it wasn't breaded and fried first, but steamed briefly in the microwave instead. But I think texturally, it needed that breading first. I thought it was fine, but the other 4 people I served it to did not care for it. I did enjoy the filling, which is a lower fat version. So I will probably use this filling, but next time, I'll bread and fry the eggplant strips first. Then proceed according to directions. I did like that the instructions were very clear.