Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe comes from Cuisine at Home. My family loves moussaka; however, it is so time consuming. This recipe cuts the time down to 1 1/2 hours so we can have it more often.
Top Review by Random Rachel
This was good! I have never tried moussaka before, so I don't know how long it normally takes to cook, but this wasn't really a quick meal with the bake and cooling time, although it was fairly easy. Definitely worth the wait! For ZWT9
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb, or
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin (beef)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Japanese eggplants, cubed (8 cups)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flour (For gluten free use sweet rice flour.)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, cook the meat over medium-high heat until brown, breaking it up with a potato masher as it cooks. If using ground sirloin you might need to add a touch of oil.
- Drain the meat if desired and return to pan. Add in the eggplant, potatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon and basil. Simmer covered about 15 minutes. Remove lid, turn heat to medium-high and add in wine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until it evaporates. Stir in tomatoes, olives and simmer to reduce juices, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- For the Bechamel sauce, place the melted butter in a medium size saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook for a minute. Add milk, bring to a boil and continue to wisk until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Break eggs into a small dish, whisking until combined. Stir in a small amount of white sauce and whisk to combine. Whisk egg mixture into white sauce. Stir in Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- Pour the meat and vegetable mixture into prepared casserole and pour the sauce over all. Smooth evenly with a spatula, sprinkle with additional cheese. Place in oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.