Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's a unique, light, egg-free version of sponge cake, and it's low fat and low cal as well! It's quick and easy to make, and can be dressed up with topping or frosting for an impressive dessert. This recipe is from www.tarladalal.com.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence, and water and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 6 inch diameter round tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F) for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce the temperature to 150 degrees C (300 degree F) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute.
- Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
- Cool the the cake on a wire rack.
This is the cake recipe I have been looking for for years! It was easy to make and turned out light and tasty, with a texture and flavour just like childhood birthday cakes. Perfect - thank you.
I was doubtful of this cake at first because of how watery the batter was, but as I beat it for a longer time, it thickened a bit. The cake was very springy, moist and was great tasting. I'm not a fan of sponge cake but this was quite yummy. very good recipe.
Made this today. I used caramel essence as well as vanilla and it was so nice. My husband really liked it. I covered it in cream and fresh strawberries. I baked it about an extra 5 to 10 minutes. Id read in the reviews that it wasnt sweet enough so added 2 TBSP of caster sugar as well. YUM! Def will be making it again! Thanks~!!!