Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's a unique, light, egg-free version of sponge cake, and it's low fat and low cal as well! It's quick and easy to make, and can be dressed up with topping or frosting for an impressive dessert. This recipe is from www.tarladalal.com.
- 200 g sweetened condensed milk
- 140 g self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 60 ml melted butter or 60 ml margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 75 ml water
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence, and water and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 6 inch diameter round tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F) for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce the temperature to 150 degrees C (300 degree F) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute.
- Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
- Cool the the cake on a wire rack.
Made this today. I used caramel essence as well as vanilla and it was so nice. My husband really liked it. I covered it in cream and fresh strawberries. I baked it about an extra 5 to 10 minutes. Id read in the reviews that it wasnt sweet enough so added 2 TBSP of caster sugar as well. YUM! Def will be making it again! Thanks~!!!
This is the cake recipe I have been looking for for years! It was easy to make and turned out light and tasty, with a texture and flavour just like childhood birthday cakes. Perfect - thank you.
great cake ,easy to make only downside :it was kind of raw in the centre so had to put it back in the oven .but the taste was pretty good