Recipe by Sweramsan
For all those vegetarians and vegans who enjoy a soft and spongy cake just as much as the rest of the folks this is the answer to their prayers!!@@!!
Top Review by gypsygal
It's very difficult to rate this recipe. I made for my Vegan Grandaughter. It was my first try doing a Vegan cake recipe. I used a rome apple, almond milk and vanilla. I followed the directions. I put it in a 8x8 pan and it looked beautiful when it was done (28 min.) It didn't raise as high as I had hoped but it was my first eggless try. Both my grandaughter and I thought the smell & taste was really "good". However, the texture just didn't work for us. It was heavier than we hoped for in a sponge cake. Maybe, when I'm more experienced with Vegan recipes, I'll try and tweek this one. Thank you.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 golden delicious apple, peeled cored and pureed
- 1⁄4 vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk (substitute with soy milk or almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 tablespoon salt
- vanilla or 1 tablespoon rose essence
Directions See How It's Made
- 1.Combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Sieve and keep aside.
- 2. In a blender combine well the pureed apple, vegetable oil and the powdered sugar.
- 3. Add the essence at this stage and mix briefly. You may also use plain vanilla instead of the rose I used.
- 4. Add the four and the milk alternatively and blend briefly, just enough to fluff the mixture.
- 5.Grease a standard round/ square baking pan. I used 2 ceramic bowls and a cup cake tray. Bake for 25- 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- a. Puree the apples just before you start mixing. Else it turns brown. You may try using store bought apple sauce, but then you might want to cut down on the sugar so it is not too sweet. Let me know how it turns out:-).
- b. 1 Golden delicious apple substitutes 2 egg whites.
- Celsius To know if the cake is done insert a tooth pick and it should come clean.