Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy and yummy. Perfect for sick tummies.
Make and share this Easy Egg Drop Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Heat broth in saucepan to boiling.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs well. You can add the cornstarch to help keep the eggs in larger lumps in the soup.
- Remove pan from heat once broth is boiling.
- GENTLY stir in eggs. The more you stir the smaller the egg 'drops' will be.
- Taste. Add salt if desired. Onion salt is really yummy here!
- Garnish with chopped green onion.
- NOTE: for sick tummies try adding a little lemon juice and leave out the salt and onion. This was the ONLY thing my Daddy could eat when going through chemo.
Here's my take on the soup: I used some vegetable oil and sauteed chopped garlic, added 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, 3 cups water, and used 3 eggs. I thought the garlic gave the soup an extra kick. It was super easy to throw together and I'd make this again, perhaps even adding some chopped white button mushrooms for extra flavor and texture.
I was surprised at how delicious this was with so few ingredients. I tried the cornstarch option, but would omit it next time and I would also use only 1 egg for the recipe, too. Seasoned with salt-free onion powder, garnished with fresh chives from the garden because I was out of green onions and served with lemon wedges. Used a fresh veggie broth which was "spiked" with salt-free chicken broth powder. This would be an ideal tonic soup for someone with a cold by adding a protein- such as tofu or cooked diced chicken and a good grating of fresh ginger. Served this with Chinese Roasted Chicken, Steamed Spinach With Herbs and sticky rice. Thanks for posting.
This is the way I make my egg drop soup. I was happy to see it posted so that I could comment on how easy and yummy this soup is. The only thing I will mention is to use a good quality broth such as Swansons. I have used off brand broth before and it just isn't the same. I also add my green onions to the soup as it is heating up because I like them just a little cooked and omit the salt. So yummy and easy! I highly recommend this recipe to anyone wanting to try egg drop soup!