Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Can something be this easy ??
- 4 cups mixed dried fruit, diced if need be
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 (400 g) tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 dash rum (optional) or 1 dash brandy (optional)
- Line a deep square or round tin with baking paper.
- Bring paper 5 cm above edge of tin.
- Pre heat oven to 150 C.
- Place fruit and water in pot, bring to boil.
- Simmer oncovered for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cool to room temperature.
- Stir in condensed milk then flour and rum if using.
- Add lightly beaten egg and stir thoroughly.
- Spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake for 2 hours or till cooked when tested.
I diced up dried apricots, peaches, pears, dates & cherries (no raisins this time around!) for this recipe & did include a slight bit of apricot brandy when making this fruitcake! Definitely a simple recipe to make (& much less time consuming if you use a package of diced dried fruit, I know) & although it is a cake made with fruit, don't expect it to be like the usual fruitcake with all the candied fruit (a good thing, in my opinion)! Thanks for this nice change-of-pace recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #34]