The first apple pie I ever made; easy and simple directions. And real apples, no canned apple pie filling! I made this for dessert when company was over and I figured if I screwed up, I could always pass it off as apple cobbler with ice cream served over it, but it came out great, looked and tasted like a real apple pie!
- Combine flour, brown sugar, butter/margarine and oats; set aside 1 cup for the topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pie plate; set aside.
- For the pie filling: combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth, bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in apples and vanilla.
- Pour filling mixture into crust and top with the 1 cup crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
This is GREAT!! Dutch apple is my husbands favorite pie and he said this is the best one he's had! Very easy to make. The spices were just right. I think heating the sauce before adding the apples gave it a creamier texture. This one is a true keeper!! Thanks Tara for another great recipe!
Tara, this was the BEST!! I'd rate this higher than 5 if I could. I quickly 'threw' this together after a quick invite to some friends for dinner and I will be making it again for sure. It was wonderful. I had it made in no time flat (followed the recipe exactly) and got myself ready while it baked. The thought occurred to me while we were eating it that it could easily have been done in a square pan for that matter. Anyway, thanks for a great recipe. It was thoroughly enjoyed by all.
Wow! Stupendous! Fabulous! Soooooo easy too. I never make pies because I am baking challenged. This was so easy to do and it turned out perfect. My whole family loves this! Will be making again and again! My pie only took about 30 minutes til it was done so you may want to start checking it earlier than the 45 it says on the recipe. Other than that this is a don't mess with recipe.