The first apple pie I ever made; easy and simple directions. And real apples, no canned apple pie filling! I made this for dessert when company was over and I figured if I screwed up, I could always pass it off as apple cobbler with ice cream served over it, but it came out great, looked and tasted like a real apple pie!
- Combine flour, brown sugar, butter/margarine and oats; set aside 1 cup for the topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pie plate; set aside.
- For the pie filling: combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth, bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in apples and vanilla.
- Pour filling mixture into crust and top with the 1 cup crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.