Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a filling and satisfying dish that my kids scarf down, and we enjoy hot or cold. Hot, left over or chilled this is good 'dressed' with whole seed mustard and served as a cold potato salad. If using raw sausages or bacon cook them first.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 lbs onions
- 1 lb pork sausage or 1 lb kielbasa
- 1⁄2 lb ham or 1⁄2 lb crumbled bacon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Melt butter in 3-quart pot or a medium wok.
- Slice onions thinly, peel and cube potatoes, cut meat into bite sized pieces.
- Lightly brown onions.
- Add all other ingredients; bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Pour off excess broth (I keep it to make soup later) and serve with the mustard.
This was a HUGE HIT at my St. Patty's party! Everyone loved it! I used 8 large Idaho potatoes, 2 large onions, 1/2 pound of bacon, 1 pound of Italian sausage, and 4 cups of water with 5 chicken bouillon cubes. I also added some carrots and left out the nutmeg. I started it out in the crock pot and realized it wasn't going to be done in time, so I finished it on the stovetop. It couldn't have been better! The corned beef and cabbage was hardly touched, and this was gone! Thanks for the recipe!