Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Not only is this cake taste absolutely delicious, it's beautiful to look at! Because of the whipped cream and fresh strawberries this cake is best eaten the same day it is made.
Top Review by abens9
This cake tasted fantastic! Only problem I had with it was one of my layers came out a little lop-sided so it was difficult to keep that side of the cake together. I'll make sure they're level next time. But the other side looked beautiful and the whole thing tasted divine. I love the softly strawberry flavored whipped cream due to putting in the strawberry preserves. A wonderful spring dessert!
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix (or use a butter golden cake mix)
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons strawberry preserves, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl beat the cake mix with buttermilk, butter and eggs on low speed until just blended.
- Transfer the batter to prepare cake pans.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes, or until cakes test done.
- Cool on wire racks for about 10 minutes; remove from pans and brush the top of each cake layer with 3 tablespoons of strawberry preserves.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Beat the whipping cream with 4 tablespoons of strawberry preserves and the powdered sugar on high speed of an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; arrange half of the sliced strawberries over the layer, then top with half of the whipped cream.
- Place the remaining layer on top and repeat with strawberry slices then the remaining whipped cream.
- Garnish with whole strawberries on top of desired.