This is so easy and always turns out. Mashed potatoes or rice go well with this dish. You can make this a very elegant or casual dinner. It also reheats well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Meat Mixture
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (or soak a fresh piece of bread in water a few minutes, squeeze out water and tear up bread into meat)
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 pinch oregano
- fresh salt & pepper
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, heated
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 3/4 cup red wine or 1 can beer or 3/4 cup ginger ale (I prefer the first two because the gingerale makes it sweet...children prefer the gingerale)
- 1/2 cup water, if sauce is too thick add more
- 1/2-1 cup freshly sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1In a medium size bowl mix meats, water, crumbs, egg, and spices.
- 2Make rounded balls the size of your palm and slightly flatten to resemble a hamburger but not quite as flat.
- 3Now roll in flour.
- 4Pat on so it sticks well.
- 5Put into heated oil and brown quickly on all sides.
- 6Don't cook it through.
- 7This is just to seal it.
- 8Pour off excess grease, if any.
- 9Pour in wine,water, and the pkg.
- 10of onion soup.
- 11(and the mushrooms if you like) Turn heat Medium-High only until it starts to cook then done to Simmer on stove top.
- 12Let it simmer until the steaks are tender about 20-25 min.
- 13If you like more gravy, in a jar with a lid put 2 Tblsp.
- 14flour and 2 Tblsp.
- 15cold water,cover quickly and shake vigorously.
- 16This will take out the lumps.
- 17Take out the steaks, pour in the flour/water mixture into the gravy already in the pan.
- 18Stir until the right consistency.
- 19If the gravy seems a little light in color add a little gravy master to it and a few grinds of the pepper mill.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy-Does-It - Salisbury Steak
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.4
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 143.5 mg
- Sodium 982.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 30.1 g