Recipe by glitter
This is so easy and always turns out. Mashed potatoes or rice go well with this dish. You can make this a very elegant or casual dinner. It also reheats well.
Top Review by Rebeccalizzie
Yum! I'm not usually a ground beef person, but I was really impressed by this. My family LOVED it, and said it was one of their new favorite dishes. I made it with the red wine and added beef broth and flour at the end to make more gravy.
For Meat Mixture
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (or soak a fresh piece of bread in water a few minutes, squeeze out water and tear up bread into meat)
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 pinch oregano
- fresh salt & pepper
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, heated
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 3⁄4 cup red wine or 1 can beer or 3⁄4 cup ginger ale (I prefer the first two because the gingerale makes it sweet...children prefer the gingerale)
- 1⁄2 cup water, if sauce is too thick add more
- 1⁄2-1 cup freshly sliced mushrooms (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size bowl mix meats, water, crumbs, egg, and spices.
- Make rounded balls the size of your palm and slightly flatten to resemble a hamburger but not quite as flat.
- Now roll in flour.
- Pat on so it sticks well.
- Put into heated oil and brown quickly on all sides.
- Don't cook it through.
- This is just to seal it.
- Pour off excess grease, if any.
- Pour in wine,water, and the pkg.
- of onion soup.
- (and the mushrooms if you like) Turn heat Medium-High only until it starts to cook then done to Simmer on stove top.
- Let it simmer until the steaks are tender about 20-25 min.
- If you like more gravy, in a jar with a lid put 2 Tblsp.
- flour and 2 Tblsp.
- cold water,cover quickly and shake vigorously.
- This will take out the lumps.
- Take out the steaks, pour in the flour/water mixture into the gravy already in the pan.
- Stir until the right consistency.
- If the gravy seems a little light in color add a little gravy master to it and a few grinds of the pepper mill.