Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Unlike many store-bought granolas, this luxurious blend of oats, green pumpkin seeds, and exotic dried fruit is preservative-free and not overly sweet. Sprinkle it on yogurt, pancakes, or waffles —or simply enjoy eating it out of hand.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 cup whole almond, with skins
- 8 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup honey, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups salted roasted green pumpkin seeds (see Tip, below)
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dried strawberries or 3⁄4 cup dried sour cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Line 2 large shallow baking sheets with foil.
- Place walnuts and almonds on one sheet and toast until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool, then coarsely chop and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F
- Divide oats between baking sheets.
- In medium bowl, melt butter in microwave.
- Stir in honey and salt.
- Drizzle mixture onto oats and stir well with rubber spatula.
- Spread oats in even layer and bake, stirring once and switching positions of pans halfway through, until golden, about 30 minutes (mixture will crisp as it cools).
- Transfer to large bowl, cool, add remaining ingredients, and toss well.
- Store airtight at room temperature up to one month.
- Tip: Salted roasted green (unhulled) pumpkin seeds, also called pepitas, can be found at most specialty food stores.