Recipe by Mom2Rose
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 3 dozen cookies. ***Edited to add: I added cherry chips to this jar mix for a variation (tastes like a Choc. Covered Cherry cookie) - they were awesome***
Top Review by Posiespocketbook
I had some trouble making these cookies this morning. I ended up using 1 1/2 cups sour cream instead of the 8oz it calls for. My hand mixer got all gooey and bound up with the mix. I ended up with chocolate all over. I did feel that they needed a little something extra. So I went ahead and made a quick frosting, butter powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla then topped them off with a few harvest colored sprinkles. Mine turned out on the larger side, they were more like a brownie than a cookie.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:.
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Place the cake mix in the jar.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- EASY DEVIL'S FOOD CHOCOLATE COOKIES GIFT TAG:.
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1 (8 oz) container sour cream.
- COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the contents of the jar in a large bowl.
- Add the sour cream, using an electric mixer on low speed, combine until well mixed.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are light brown in color.
- Allow to cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.