Recipe by Sharon123
This recipe takes canned baked beans and kicks up the flavor without a lot of work. Much nicer than just warming up a can and a lot easier than cooking beans from scratch. From My Vegan Cookbook.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped sweet green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 (28 ounce) cansbush's vegetarian baked beans
Directions See How It's Made
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F.
- In a deep saucepan, simmer olive oil, vegan butter, green pepper, onion on medium heat ,stirring occasionally, until onions and peppers become softer, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, mustard, onion and garlic powder, molasses, soy sauce, brown sugar, liquid smoke and canned baked beans.
- Mix together and pour into a 2qt. glass baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!