Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cool cucumbers, zesty onions and snappy bell peppers in a salty-sweet bath. Yummy as a refeshing salad or a delicious edible garnish. Great for using up your garden's cucumbers! No canning or pickling experience required!
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3 sliced cucumbers (, about 6 cups)
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 sliced bell pepper
- Combine first 6 ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring so the sugar dissolves.
- Turn off heat and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Slice vegetables and place in large mixing bowl.
- Pour vinegar mixture over veggies and toss a bit.
- Layer in a large flat dish (I use my Pyrex 13 by 9 pan) that has a tight fiting lid.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least one whole day (but a couple days is even better).
- Stir every 6 hours or so to be sure all cucumbers get marinaded.
- Serve chilled as a salad or as a delicious edible garnish.
Super side dish. I served this with Chicken Parmesan, it was the perfect contrast. I let the cucumbers marinate overnight.