Recipe by Katydidntdoit
This recipe came from my mom who got it out of an old (1970's)cookbook of hers. I made it one night and just love it. It's perfect on a fall or winter night served with some fresh bread. This recipe makes quite a lot, and we never seem to have much left over.
Top Review by GaylaV
This is a keeper for us. It will be a great meal to prepare on a weekday when time and energy are short. I used diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil which did make it a bit oily but gave it a great flavour. Thanks for sharing this great soup recipe.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 6 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 (29 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas corn and carrot mix
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with onion.
- In large pot place meat and onion, water, bouillon, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil; cover and turn heat down to low.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in orzo and frozen veggies, and salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer an additional 15-20 minutes or until orzo is done.
- Serve hot with warm, buttered bread.