Recipe by marypage
This is a simple, fast recipe for chicken curry. I have been using this recipe for over 30 years. I've tried other recipes but always come back to this one. Hope you enjoy! Prep time is to make curry, assuming you have cooked chicken on hand.
Top Review by Stylin'Dog
Yummy! Made this for dinner last night, DH had seconds, and I ate the fourth serving for lunch today. Using leftover chopped cooked chicken straight from the freezer, this was ready to eat in under 40 minutes. Didn't have curry powder so subbed in red curry paste instead. Really good! Going into my dinner rotation for sure.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced, whatever you have leftover
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 -4 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over low heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Sauté onion and curry power in melted butter for 2-3 minutes to bring out flavors in curry powder.
- Blend in flour, salt, sugar and ground ginger. Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubble.
- Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in chicken broth and milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute until mixture thickens.
- Add chicken and lemon juice.
- Heat to warm the chicken.
- Spoon Chicken Curry over the cooked rice and serve with accompaniments on the side so everyone can top as desired.
- Curry Accompaniments:.
- Chutney, tomato wedges, raisins, slivered almonds, chopped salted peanuts, sautéed onion rings, pineapple, chopped hard cooked eggs, crispy bacon bits, pickles (sweet or sour), flaked coconut, sliced avocado.
- You can also use this recipe to make shrimp curry. Replace the cooked chicken with 2 cups of cooked, cleaned shrimp.