Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe of my grandma's. It requires very few ingredients and is quick and cheap to make, and very hard to mess up! It seems like a lot of steps below, but it's really very easy. This recipe makes a lot, but they freeze very well.
- 5 loaves frozen bread dough (1 loaf = 1 lb)
- brown sugar
- 1 pint whipping cream
- butter (Not Margarine)
- Additional Equipment: 3 cake pans (disposable pans work best for the mess) and 3 cookie sheets.
- Thaw frozen dough. This is done easiest by opening the bag for the dough and leaving in the refrigerator over night.
- Set out dough on counter until it is room temperature.
- While dough is warming up, coat the cake pan sides and bottom in butter.
- Sprinkle a heavy layer of brown sugar in the bottom of the cake pans.
- Drizzle the whipping cream evenly between the three pans.
- Once dough is room temperature combine the loaves and spread out on the table to around 1/2 inch thick. Spread out the dough should be a bit larger than 2 cake pans in size.
- Spread butter on the dough top to the edges.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the dough all the way to the edges.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the dough all the way to the edges.
- Roll the dough to make a long roll.
- Take unflavored floss and cut the dough for the pans. There will be 12 rolls per pan.
- Take Crisco and spread on the roll tops.
- Cover the pans with flour sack towels or any towels.
- Leave until the dough rises to twice it's size. To speed this up a bit turn on the oven to preheat and leave the pans on the stove-top. They will rise in about a half hour.
- Remove towels and bake in oven at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Rolls should be quite brown when they are done.
- Remove pan from oven. Take cookie sheet and place on pan. Flip over.
- TADA! Carmel rolls!