Recipe by ChrysalisUnfurled
This soup is the real deal! It is totally from scratch but error proof; you will impress yourself and others.
Top Review by Redsie
Had lots of fresh broccoli to use up and wanted a change from my regular recipe - made this and we loved it! Used low-fat milk and a little less cheese. I always add Tabasco to my soups as I like a little kick!! Thanks! :)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml chicken stock
- 750 g package frozen chopped broccoli or 709.77 ml fresh broccoli
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 354.88 ml milk
- 354.88 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 1.23 ml Tabasco sauce
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh dill or 29.58 ml fresh parsley or 29.58 ml chives
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter. Cook onion until soft but not brown.
- Stir in flour and cook 3 minutes.
- Whisk in stock and broccoli.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Puree mixture (in food processor or blender).
- Return to heat, add pepper, milk, cheese, and Tabasco sauce.
- Heat thoroughly but do not boil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- If you are using fresh broccoli, trim off tough stems, chop and cook 15 minutes before putting in blender.