Recipe by ChrysalisUnfurled
This soup is the real deal! It is totally from scratch but error proof; you will impress yourself and others.
Top Review by Redsie
Had lots of fresh broccoli to use up and wanted a change from my regular recipe - made this and we loved it! Used low-fat milk and a little less cheese. I always add Tabasco to my soups as I like a little kick!! Thanks! :)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (750 g) package frozen chopped broccoli or 3 cups fresh broccoli
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons chives
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter. Cook onion until soft but not brown.
- Stir in flour and cook 3 minutes.
- Whisk in stock and broccoli.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Puree mixture (in food processor or blender).
- Return to heat, add pepper, milk, cheese, and Tabasco sauce.
- Heat thoroughly but do not boil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- If you are using fresh broccoli, trim off tough stems, chop and cook 15 minutes before putting in blender.