This soup is the real deal! It is totally from scratch but error proof; you will impress yourself and others.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (750 g) package frozen chopped broccoli or 3 cups fresh broccoli
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons chives
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- Melt butter. Cook onion until soft but not brown.
- Stir in flour and cook 3 minutes.
- Whisk in stock and broccoli.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Puree mixture (in food processor or blender).
- Return to heat, add pepper, milk, cheese, and Tabasco sauce.
- Heat thoroughly but do not boil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- If you are using fresh broccoli, trim off tough stems, chop and cook 15 minutes before putting in blender.
Had lots of fresh broccoli to use up and wanted a change from my regular recipe - made this and we loved it! Used low-fat milk and a little less cheese. I always add Tabasco to my soups as I like a little kick!! Thanks! :)
I personally give this 5 stars. I'm not a big fan of broccoli, but I actually went back for seconds. My husband on the other hand who does love it, only had half a bowl, but he also doesn't like home cooked meals. I did have to add about an extra cup of milk as it was way too thick for our liking. I used a 750g bag of frozen broccoli and my immersion blender. Very easy to make. Great recipe. I'm going to try it again some day with freshly grated parmesean I think.
I made this soup once. Very good. I also made the cauliflower soup once. Also very good. The next time I made it I combined the Cream of Cauliflower Soup and the Broccoli Cheese Soup. I used Sysco chicken base with water and milk and cilantro. I also used velveeta cheese, it melts very nicely and is very good in soups. Since my hubby cannot have any red meat and usually just fish, this recipe as well as the Caulifower Soup recipe that you posted, fits the bill.Tabasco is served on the side. Thanks for posting.