Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a layered South of the Border beans and rice dish, very easy to put together we love this at our house! Prep time does not include cooking the rice. Tip: I have layered this casserole with cooked ground beef for a main dish meal.
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 3 chopped green onions
- 1⁄4 cup diced green chilis (I just use a whole small jar, drained for this)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 cups sour cream (or to taste)
- 2 -3 cups salsa
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half of the grated cheese on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Spoon 1 cup of the cooked rice evenly over the cheese, and sprinkle with half of the green onions.
- Top the onions with half of the chilies, half of the refried beans and half of the sour cream.
- Repeat this layer reserving 1/2 of the shredded cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until thoroughly heated through and the cheese is melted on top.
- Spoon salsa around the edge of the top of the dish, and serve more salsa at the table.