Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a friend. While I have seen similar recipes, I haven't seen any just like it. So simple, easy, and people will think you're a professional pastry chef!
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- walnuts, chopped or almonds, sliced
- 1st Part:.
- Cut 1/2 cup butter into 1 cup flour.
- Sprinkle water over mixture and mix until it's moist enough to round into a ball.
- Divide in half.
- On ungreased baking sheet, pat each half into a strip that is roughly 12x3 inches, with strips about 3" apart.
- 2nd Part:.
- Heat 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup water to a rolling boil.
- Turn heat to lowest setting and quickly stir in 1 t. almond extract and 1 cup flour.
- Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat in eggs, all at once, until smooth and glossy.
- Divide in half.
- Spread evenly over strips.
- Bake 60 minutes or until topping is crisp and brown.
- Frost with Sugar Glaze (see below) and sprinkle with nuts.
- Sugar Glaze:.
- Mix 3 cups powdered sugar, 4 T. butter, 1.5 t. vanilla, 1.5 t. almond extract, and 2-4 T. warm water until smooth and of spreading consistency.
- If you are topping with walnuts instead of almonds, use less almond extract or none at all and just use vanilla extract.
- Recipe can be made into individual puffs by patting dough into 3" circles, using a rounded tsp for each puff. Spread rounded tablespoon of batter (2nd part) over each circle, extending it just beyond the edge of the circle. Bake 30 minutes and frost.
I thought this was a best. happy you shared with food.com. I didn't change a thing