Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cheap, fast, easy and good.
- 1 cup lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion
- curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1 carrot
- Put lentils, the 3 cups of water, and 1/2 the onion in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- In a small frying pan, combine the other half of the onion, and the rest of the ingredients except the avocado and carrot. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the sauce pan containing the lentils and water.
- Cook until the lentils are soft (about 20 minutes longer).
- Grate the carrot and slice the avocado to use as a topping.
- Serve with naan or pita for a complete meal.
To quote Randy Jackson, this was just okay for me, Dog. To be fair, I've never had Dal before - easy or otherwise - and I've not eaten lentils before, so this was a real first. Tasted a little bland to me, so added some more curry and some red pepper flakes. Like others, I thought the addition of avocado and carrot clever. I will try again. Thanks for posting.
Excellent, and super easy! It took about twice as long to cook the lentils, however. I added a little salt and pepper - personal preference.
This was perfect. I used 1/2 tsp of curry powder and it seemed right. I am at high altitude so it wasn't so much soup as it was just cooked lentils by the time the lentils were soft. The avocado and carrots gave it a great flavor and texture. Served with a salad and some bread/pita. Thanks!