This is my mom's recipe - it's very quick to make. I used to make this in college every Friday during Lent. You can make the curry start to finish in the time it takes the rice to cook. The amount of curry and ginger is the starting amount; I use up to twice that much, but adjust it to taste.
- Melt butter with curry, onion, and ginger and cook until onion begins to soften.
- Add the flour and stir to combine with butter.
- Add the broth, milk, salt, sugar and lemon and stir to combine with flour.
- Bring to a simmer and add the shrimp.
- Simmer until the shrimp is cooked.
- Serve over rice.
This recipe was really delicious. As we were making it we were skeptical. Boy! was it ever good. Thank you. Pat
Really good! I doubled the Curry and Ginger and then added a little bit more. Substituted Coconut oil for the Butter. Added Green Peas to the sauce with the Shrimp. Made brown rice.
Delicious. My family loved this dish. The only change I made was to add 1 extra tsp. of curry to increase the curry flavor. If your not familiar with curry make it as ChrisMc suggests first. The sauce will be thick, but as the moisture releases from the shrimp it will thin out nicely. I would suggest adding the lemon after the milk has combined with the flour so it doesn't curdle it.