Recipe by So Cal Gal
Comfort food from college days...remembered and reinvented. And a pretty good way to use up extra hard boiled eggs too! (Adapted from BarbaraK's wonderful Creamed Tuna On Toast recipe.)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder (McCormick)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, over low-medium heat, melt/combine unsalted butter and olive oil; then whisk in whole wheat pastry flour.
- Slowly add nonfat milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps--and continue to cook and whisk until sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Stir in chopped hard-boiled eggs, curry powder, salt, and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until thoroughly warmed; then remove from heat and cover.
- Toast whole wheat bread, top with curried egg mixture, and serve.