Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
So easy an 8th grader could do it, but tastes tender, delicious, 8 ingredients, 8 instructions. Definitely good when you need an easy meal. Great when you're tired, and want a good meal.
- 1 lb cubed steak (around 4 large pieces, either pork cubed steak or beef, both are really good, pork is cheaper and yo)
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (or enough to cover bottom of a large skillet)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (18 ounce) jar beef gravy (I like Heinz Homestyle Savory Beef or Pork Gravy, Kroger brand gravy is good too. If you're using th)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (salt to taste is not allowed on Recipezaar, as I have to enter a specific amount, so 1/4 teaspoon is)
- Preheat crockpot on high (I use a Rival 4 quart crockpot for this, it's gotta be 20 years old, but still does the job; all crockpots are different, the Rival is a much slower cooking one than my slightly smaller and newer Proctor-Silex model), and pour gravy into crockpot. If you have a newer model you defintely can do from it start to finish on the low temperature.
- Add milk to the gravy jar or cream of mushroom soup, and shake to get all of the gravy or soup rinsed out, and put in the crockpot.
- Add sliced onion on top of the gravy. Put crockpot lid on.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan until medium hot.
- In a plastic bag zipper bag mix flour and black pepper, put cubed steak in flour mixture and coat well, and brown on both sides.
- Put browned cube steak in crock pot, and cover with lid.
- Turn crockpot to low temperature, and cook 5 hours, or until done. Or it's so easy to just brown the cubed steaks the night before, put everything in the crockpot, stick in the frig., get up, and turn crockpot to low, and it can cook all day on low, without a problem, as it's mostly done already after you browned it.
- Okay, this is so easy I struggled to find the last/8th step, as I really didn't have one. I'd suggest a nice long bath or shower -- the meal is mostly done.
- Note: This is good with mashed potatoes or a baked potato and your favorite vegetable, just an easy meal. I don't think it would take an hour to prepare, but there's time there in the time stated to do it if you need it.